Boycott Shampoo - Demand Real Poo!!

Can anyone even read the above title? What good is a title you can't read?!

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

FKK = Frei Körper Kultur

Frei = Free
Körper = Body
Kultur = Culture

Germany has this thing called FKK. What do they mean by “free body culture,” you ask? Well, they have things like pools and beaches and saunas that are called “FKK beaches/pools/saunas/etc.” Still not getting it? Fine, it means that you can be naked in public. There, I’ve said it.

There are even some public parks where you can be naked, from what I’ve heard. This includes the English Garden, which is a huge stretch of grass, some 5km long, which pretty much begins right behind the Studentenstadt. Now, I say that I’ve heard you can be naked there, but what I really mean is, I’ve heard that the English Garden is actually labeled an FKK zone. Regardless of whether it is allowed or not, people are naked there, and that’s just the way it is. No one enforces the law if it isn’t an FKK area.

Olivier and I went for a picnic on Saturday in the Garden. There was an extremely naked old man just walking around. It was hilarious. He wasn’t wearing anything but sunglasses. And he was very evenly tanned, so we assume he does this often. I also, from where we were, couldn’t see any hair on him… at all. ‘Nuff said. I was talking to a British guy in one of my classes and he was also shocked by this naked freedom. He said that he and some friends were trying to play soccer and this old naked guy kept walking around the field. He said the guy was playing naked badminton with a friend. Who plays naked badminton??!! I guess it’s not my place to judge. And it was so hot, that by the end of the picnic, Olivier and I were both down to our underwear, so maybe they have things figured out here in Munich.

Other than that, not much is new. I find it very, very hot here. I am constantly sweating. Take this morning, for example. It was 8am and Olivier and I were on our way to the first class of the day. It’s not that hot at 8am, right? Then why was I sweating? I looked around and no one else was sweating, just me. The worst part is this: it gets hotter. We are only in the middle of June! And this isn’t some weird heat wave!! Wait till July!!! And then I’m supposed to go to the south of France for two weeks at the beginning of August!!!! Ridiculous. I’m going to die of dehydration before then. I can’t seem to get enough water. I bet you’re all choked that I’m complaining, but I just have to say that I love Edmonton in the summer. It rarely gets too hot; it stays just cool enough… most of the time. I miss home, I think.

5 Comments:

At 10:05 a.m., Blogger Bari said...

Oh yeah, I also stayed up on Monday night and listened to the Oiler's game. I was sad. I wasn't really expecting them to win because the odds were really stacked against them, but I was really hoping that they would win. Oh well, it was a good run. Maybe next year.

 
At 2:30 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey that comment is pretty neat, eh? how crazy would it be to have someone come running up to you in munich saying they read your blog?!?!

anyways, just wanted to say that there are a lot of fans of the fkk over here in the 'neuen bundesländern' and although i also thought 'cool but not for me' in a very deepak chopra kinda way, just yesterday i was looking for a bathing suit to take with me on my trip to turkey (tomorrow! tomorrow!) i was struck by how much nicer my body looked when it wasn't stuck in some ugly bikini.

those germans. maybe they're on to something.

ta ta
hannah

 
At 9:44 a.m., Blogger SCW said...

I think they are on to something. I had my first FKK experience when I went to Greece with Lars (& a bunch of other swedes & dutch & germans) and it did take me a while to get used to it, but then I realized that people go naked mostly because they are comfortable with their body and also because there's no culture of judgement or taboo-ness surrounding the whole being naked thing. There's no gawking or giggling and whispering. It's just normal. Which kind of makes me wonder how screwed up we anglos are to be so freaked out by our own nakedness.

 
At 4:48 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice view on FKK - when you re not known to it. Be sure to try it.

Beginners session @ Saunalandschaft/Therme Erding :)

 
At 6:21 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home