Boycott Shampoo - Demand Real Poo!!

Can anyone even read the above title? What good is a title you can't read?!

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

On stupid emails

I recently got an email that reads like this:

"Can you raed tihs? Olny 21 plepoe can. I cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny
iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghout slpeling was ipmorantt! if you can raed tihs forwrad it.

ONLY FORWARD IF YOU CAN READ THIS"

Okay, I've gotten an email with this text before and found it quite amusing. It is funny that you can still read it, even though the words are all horribly (if purposely) misspelled. But it's the first and last lines that are pissing me off so badly. If the whole point of the study (which may or may not actually have existed) is that "the human mind works in such wonderfully wonderful ways that you can read this text regardless of how misspelled it is" (paraphrased) then why does it also say that only 21 people can read it? I imagine they meant, like one in 20 or 21 or maybe even in some weird world 1 in 2, but it still seems like the numbers are ridiculously skewed, which makes me skeptical that such a study every existed, or if someone just made this up. And my issue with the last sentence is this: if you can't read it, would you actually forward it? If you would, then you should be shot, maybe not in a place that would kill you, but definitely in the leg or something, because that's just dumb. Would anyone in the world actually think, "I have no idea what this says, I'm going to forward it on to my entire list of contacts in the hopes that it will make sense to one of them."? I doubt it. It's just silly.

Sorry, I guess I'm in that kind of mood today.

5 Comments:

At 4:39 a.m., Blogger Bari said...

Oh, and spelling IS important, don't ever let anyone tell you different.

 
At 5:17 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

The research was a PhD in Nottingham -
Rawlinson, G. E. (1976) The significance of letter position in word recognition. Unpublished PhD Thesis, Psychology Department, University of Nottingham, Nottingham UK.

The PhD isn't available, but the author has made a summary of it available here
http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/rawlinson.html

More details on that meme are available from a Cambridge linguist/psycholinguist here
http://www.mrc-cbu.cam.ac.uk/~mattd/Cmabrigde/

And finally - yes, people are truly stupid. Internet connections also appear to make some people stupider. There really, really are people who will forward that sort of stuff having read it and not understood a word. Further, there are people who will forward it without ever having read it.

The continued existence of the human race is a source of sheer amazement and constant horror - it's one of the best arguments against Darwin's theories I've ever come across.

 
At 12:07 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok.....so you say spelling is important....but did you grammar check and spell check your last post? hint....look for the word "every"....

You have to come back home to take some english lessons!!!

mw.

 
At 5:41 p.m., Blogger Bari said...

Touche! I admit that I made a spelling error, and won't edit it so that everyone can see my mistake. But I stand my ground that, while the grammar may not be textbook-perfect, it is certainly reflective of the way real people speak... and not in the bad way. I have one error out of 247 words and, considering that this was an informal post written tongue-in-cheek, I think that's not doing too bad. Also, that is more of a typo as opposed to poor spelling (it's an added letter as opposed to the incorrect use of a homonym or just plain poor spelling).

The point is merely that people should care about what they are writing and shouldn't just dismiss spelling on the grounds that "people will understand what I mean, anyways." But I do concede that I, obviously, didn't proofread this carefully enough.

Oh, and just for you, mw: lol...

 
At 5:26 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

By the way, "touché" should be written so, with an accent on the "e", like ”paté”, ”résumé” and
“L’été passé, Hélène a dépecé un cétacé à mains nues.”

Aww, I love French...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home