Boycott Shampoo - Demand Real Poo!!

Can anyone even read the above title? What good is a title you can't read?!

Thursday, March 23, 2006

Easily 12 years in the making

I have always had a weird name. Well, it depends who you ask, but let's face it: the name's kind of weird. I've grown over time to quite like it, but was always jealous of my sister for having such a normal name. Why was I jealous? Because, quite simply, she could buy stuff with her name on it. No, really, that's why. I always wanted a toothbrush that said "Bari" or a pad of paper that said "From the desk of Bari." I never had a little card that said what my name meant or what it's origin was because, again, quite simply, my name is made up.

So when I was in the latter part of elementary school and found out that there was a brand of cheese called "Bari", I was very impressed. This lead to a little bit of research and the discovery that there is actually a town in the south of Italy called Bari. It also lead to the decision that I would visit there someday, even if I were old and grey by the time I could.

I'm not old and grey, but I can now say that I have visited my town. I feel awesome about it. To have had a goal for so long and to say that I have accomplished what I set out so long ago to do... it's great. I took many, many pictures of random things that said "Bari" on them, I walked along the waterfront with a smug smile on my face that no one except Katie could understand. I visited the Bari Castle and found out that Santa Claus' remains are buried there; well, St. Nicolas' remains at least. And I bought Bari merchandise. That's right, they had merchandise. Not a whole ton like one would find in New York, Paris, or Berlin, but some. I have a few postcards with my name on them, a couple of sweaters and a few other things that I shall keep secret as some of them are gifts. Actually, I was saved by the fact that Bari has a soccer team, because everything I bought (with the exception of the postcards) are from the team.

So, now I guess I have to come up with a new long-term goal, eh?

Katie and I left Bari yesterday and took the train to Rome. And that is where I sit. We stay here for about another week, leaving on Wednesday the 29 to go back to Munich. I don't have much to say in the way of Rome. It's nice from what we've seen so far. Our hotel is well situated. The weather is really having a hard time making up it's mind; rain, sun, rain, clouds, bleh. Okay, I should see if I can access Beartracks now. I doubt I can because the UofA doesn't put a lot of thought into things, and I think I can't access it from a browser at an internet cafè. We'll see, I guess. Ciao!!

6 Comments:

At 3:28 p.m., Blogger jeffreydekker@gmail.com said...

I want to visit Italy so that i can say i was in Bari too.

 
At 9:49 a.m., Blogger Mike said...

We can go together, Jacob! We'll be in Bari at the same time!

Is there room in Bari for the both of us, though?

 
At 11:17 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL!!! You two make me laugh!! Hey sis, nice to know that there is finally something that I have that you wished you had!! Glad you had fun, and don't forget to buy me my charm!! Take care and I will talk to you on Sunday. Oh and I did what I have been wanting to do since we watched the movie "She's Out of Control"!! I went on a shopping spree last night and blew $900 bucks on clothes!! OUCH!

 
At 2:43 a.m., Blogger Bari said...

No kidding "ouch!"

Also, you're taller than me. I always wanted to be the taller one.

 
At 2:30 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm very dissapointed there are no bari pictures posted......

I miss you Bari!

kell
xxoo

 
At 12:43 p.m., Blogger Bari said...

Oh, there will be pictures; I assure you! I just had to quickly post from an internet cafe. I'm back in Munich now and plan on spending a fair amount of time in the next week or so trying to recap the last 6 weeks. So don't you worry, there will be plenty of stuff to look at on this blog.

And I miss you too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home