Boycott Shampoo - Demand Real Poo!!

Can anyone even read the above title? What good is a title you can't read?!

Wednesday, May 24, 2006

Does this make me a bigot?

Okay, seeing has how writing something is better than writing nothing, I will write something. I think that the reason I haven't been writing is because I have so much to say that the though of sitting down and writing it all is overwhelming. So, I may or may not be able to catch up all that's happened over the last few months, but who cares, right?

Okay, last night Olivier, Katie and I went to the Belle & Sebastian concert. I had never heard of them (well, before buying the tickets) and have only listened to about 3 of their songs, which Olivier happened to have on his computer. I have to say that I was very impressed. It was a great show with incredible stage presence. So often, even if the band plays well live, they have a terrible stage presence, and that ruins the show. Belle & Sebastian had the whole package.

Their opening band was terrible, though. Like, really, really bad. One of those "the best part was when it ended" sort of bands.

Anyways, I have to rant about something: The three of us got to the show pretty early, but there were already people there waiting in front of the stage. This is one of those medium-to-large sized venues; right about the same size as the Shaw. Anyways, it's considered perfectly acceptable to find a spot on the floor and sit down while waiting for the show and we did. We were right near the front (like, within 4' of the stage, or so. And when the opening band hit the stage everyone stood up and assumed the proper concert position. Within the first song or two, there was a tap on our shoulders and, long story short, there was a chick in a wheelchair who wanted to get as close to the stage as possible - her and her posse of about 5 people.

Now, I should mention that this has happened 3 times in the last two months - I mean, three times in all the concerts we've visited, there has been a person in a wheelchair who wanted to be close to the front and, since we always stand close to the front, they end up next to us. I am totally okay with this. I admit that it's kind of annoying when you want to dance but the person on your right is kind of forcing you into the wheelchair on your left and you don't want to bump into the wheelchair too hard or too many times, but everyone has the right to enjoy the concert, so you live with it.

No, my problem with the chick last night was that after the show had started she came and wanted to be near the front. Then, to make it even worse, her and her friends had the audacity to complain about the 2 tall guys were were standing in front of them right at the fence. They even asked one of them to move to the left. Now, they asked politely, so it wasn't that so much, but the fact that before they asked him to move, they said something to the effect of "there should be a law against tall guys standing in the front!" I was thinking "there should be a law against people in wheelchairs coming in late and expecting special treatment!"

And therein lies my issue. I think Olivier said it best when he said that concert law is the law of the jungle. In a really rowdy crowd, it's the idea of survial of the strongest - he who pushes hardest gets to stay near the front. In a quieter crowd, it's the idea of first come, first served. We were there early, so we were near the front. There were plenty of people behind us who were shorter than Olivier, but is he expected to move for them, just because he's tall and they're short? No, he is not. So why should we move for this girl, just because she is in a wheelchair? If she wanted to be close to the front, she should have shown up earlier, right?

I just didn't think it was proper behaviour. Okay, that's all I have to say about that. Discuss if you'd like; I just needed to vent.

Have a great day! Oh, and GO OILERS!

P.S.
Enjoy this picture from the show last night:

4 Comments:

At 7:27 a.m., Blogger mmat said...

you're right. anyone who wants to get up front better get there early or push their way to the front.

 
At 1:13 p.m., Blogger SCW said...

Man, Bari, you are missing one awesome playoff series! I am even watching with your dad & mom on the big screen in the basement (which is really sweet by the way)!!

 
At 5:17 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would have said something to the girl. "Try someone else who didn't come here early to get this spot". You have to speak up. Use my crass-ness.-ash

 
At 8:34 a.m., Blogger Bari said...

I'm sure the big screen is pretty nice, but I still hold that a hot tub would have been a better idea.

And I don't really know how to be rude in German. I'm starting to get how to be funny, but rude is harder.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home