Boycott Shampoo - Demand Real Poo!!

Can anyone even read the above title? What good is a title you can't read?!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

More examples

Okay, so when I wrote the post a few days ago about the subtle German culture shock, I could only come up with, like, two examples. Even I felt like it was anticlimactic! The thing is that it happens probably once a week where I realize that something just isn't quite right, but when I sat down to write the email I could only think of two. That's not cool. So over the last few days I have been trying to remember a few more Germanities that I think are really weird/crazy and write them down so I don't forget. Here are a couple:

There are dogs everywhere. Really, they are everywhere! I don't know how many times I've been sitting in a restaurant for a half hour before I realize that there is a dog sitting under the table next to me. People take their dogs on buses and U-Bahns; they are truly everywhere. I am told that sometimes you'll see a sign on a store that has a pictogram of a dog and says something to the effect of: We have to stay outside, but I have never actually seen one. I have seen stickers of the joke sign for this, that is a picture of a Nazi (or a swastika, I can't remember) and it says something like: We have to stay out completely, but never the dog one. There is a sign at the Media Markt (read= Best Buy) that says that dogs are allowed as long as they are on a leash, but that's as close as I've come. The thing is that 98% of the dogs I've seen are super- duper well behaved. And the other 2%, you ask? They barked, so they don't count as well behaved - not barked and ran off or barked and jumped up, they just barked. Seriously, it's incredible. I have no idea how all the dogs in this country are so well behaved.

The other thing that I think is completely different from Canada is how poor the Germans are at replying to emails. They have this reputation for being so efficient and hard-working, but it's incredible how long it takes them to get back to you sometimes. I actually don't think that this is culture shock in the way that the other examples are, but it is so different from what one expects, that it's shocking nonetheless.

I leave you with this picture I took of my view yesterday. I don't know what it is, but I love the way those buildings look. I love culture and archetecture and what not, but there is something very powerful about these buildings.

4 Comments:

At 10:47 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

man i have so many more examples.
like the fact that no one knows how to stand in line and when a new counter opens in the grocery store, it is a mad rush...

or like how people blink at each other instead of saying hello

or like how it's okay to wear the same clothes two days in a row...

or maybe that's just the crazy ossis...

ciao!
h

 
At 2:43 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

how about elevator behavior:

say hello when you get on

say nothing during the ride unless you are traveling with a friend and then you speak only to them

say tschuess or ciao or worst of all servus when someone gets off...

...except when you hit the ground floor and then you all just get out and say nothing to anyone

love it...still chuckle sometimes...sometimes i even say a little something just to throw them off their game

kt

 
At 2:45 a.m., Blogger SCW said...

i think those buildings stand out so much because they are almost the only tall buildings in Munich.. n'est-ce pas?
n

 
At 2:50 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said...

tongue, bunyan, goiter




j.nanonymous

 

Post a Comment

<< Home